Sunday, July 27, 2014

Kid's Clothes Week Day 7

I finished off Olivia's butter fly shirt, using the same Women's Metro T-Shirt pattern.  Olivia and I started discussing t-shirt fringe, a few week's back when we were making her a western dress for an AWANA banquet at camp.  We ended up not making t-shirt fringe for that project, but it seemed like the perfect thing to add to a t-shirt.

The fabric is 100% cotton jersey and it's lovely.  This was a left over piece from a Hopscotch Dress I made her 3 years ago.  Do you notice what I did wrong?!  In my hurry to get the shirt cut out, I neglected to put my butterflies in the right direction.  Yes, indeed, I cut out the shirt having the butterflies flying upside down.  I was in quite the hurry as my husband was getting ready to replace the skylight, above where I was working, and I needed to get things done quickly.  We had an awful storm blow through, a little over a week ago and a baseball sized hailstone broke through one of our skylights.  Needless to say, we ended up replacing 5 skylights.  So in my hurried adventure to get this shirt done, I made a big mistake.  Oh well, Olivia didn't notice and neither did her big sister.  The fabric is soft and comfy so it will do just fine. :)


It was fun making the fringe.  I used a small sized rotary cutter to get the fringe cut in a uniform fashion.  We wanted to make the fringe long enough, but not too long as to cause issues with playing and getting caught in things.  We also wanted to make sure her belly was covered and not exposed by the fringe cuts.

For the shirt I used size M/L once again, M through the neck/shoulders and L through the width.  I added almost 2" to the length of the sleeve and 2" to the hemline of the shirt.  I cut the fringe 6" up from the bottom of the shirt and about 3" up from the bottom of the sleeve.  The slits were 1/4" apart.  Olivia is happy with her shirt and I am mostly happy with it.  We are considering making some other fringe T-shirts using some patterned designs.

That wraps up the week of sewing for children......but I'm not done sewing.  It was good once again to be forced to sew each day, for my child. :)  My other children were neglected in the clothing department, oh well.

Happy Sewing.......

No comments: