Wednesday, April 23, 2014

April Sewing

Here are a couple of projects I worked on this month.


First, I had a birthday gift to make for my sister.  With her gardening well underway in Texas, I thought she could use a lovely new apron.

The apron is made out a medium weight linen with extra large pockets to help her carry in some produce, or packets of seeds.

This apron is made for a friend of my daughter in law, who recently had a baby.  I made one of these for my daughter in law, after he baby was born.

When my children were little, I wore aprons to bath my babies/toddlers.  It kept me dry and most importantly, especially for babies, I was able to hold onto slippery little babies. :)  I was always afraid my baby would slip out of my hands, so having something to hold onto them with, was very helpful for me.


I made these aprons out of an extra large bath sheet.  The large pocket is designed to put an infant baby's head into it, while baby is up against the chest.  As baby grows, the bottom of the apron will work to go over baby's head.  There is a snap at the back, to hold the corners out of the way while bathing baby, and for ease of unsnapping with one hand.  The neckband is also snapped on with two snaps on one side (stitched in place on the other) to keep it in place.  The pocket is also usable for storing bath toys or wash cloths in, while bathing baby.


Good night for now! :)



Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Dress Wrap Up




I was able to keep up with my sewing for 1 hour a day this past week, with the exception of Easter Sunday....I took that day off from sewing, but not cooking. ;)

Here is Olivia in her Easter Walk Away dress and her Bolero from a vintage pattern, Simplicity 3848.

 
Olivia's bolero was made from a linen fabric.  I had to make alterations to it as well.  I needed to lengthen the back length, from the shoulder seam.  I could have lengthened the front by a small amount too, but it turned out just fine.  I was making it without Olivia there to try on for alterations.  I used the dress form, but it was padded out to her size, so I was guessing. ;) 


It turned out to be a lovely Easter day with sunshine and warmer temperatures, thankfully!  We have just had so much snow and winter this year.

The dress went together fairly easily.  I did have to make alterations to fit Olivia.  I also used Katrina's directions to try out a different style petticoat for this dress.  It worked out very well for Olivia.  Should I make this dress in the future, for me, I will make a similar petticoat.





For fun, I made a little bow tie from Olivia's dress fabric to go with her nephew's onesie shirt.  I made it to be a snap on tie so it can be swapped out for other bow ties.  I took the black linen fabric and made a bow tie from that as well. :)

My other projects I will post in the next couple of days.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter.

Good Night



Monday, April 14, 2014

Piecing patterns together and tracing them off......

In my attempt to keep doing some sewing each day, I chose to do preparation work.  I taped together some of my PDF patterns and traced them off, preparing them for the next step, to pin and cut the fabric.  Here's a little look at what I was working on today.

Some young adult, child and baby items to be worked on. :)


Good Night :)

Sunday, April 13, 2014

KCW Day 7






Well, the week of sewing for one or more hours a day, is now up. :)  It's been a good challenge for me, but I confess to being tired!  It's been a long week.  The good news is, Olivia's Easter Dress is now completed.  I have her bolero I would like to work on this week, if possible. I'm going to attempt to sew each day this week, too, but with Easter upon us, I'm not sure how well I will be able to stick to the schedule.


I will post Easter pictures of Olivia in her dress and give a full review of the dress at that time.



Good Night... :)

Saturday, April 12, 2014

KCW Day 6


Wow, how did it get to be day 6 so fast?  Time is slipping away and I am still plugging away at things.

I was home later than I had hoped, but I have worked for my 1 + hours getting some sewing done.  I started with a repair from last Easter's dress for Olivia, so that she can wear this tomorrow for the choir performance.  I made sure the crinoline I just made could be used for last year's dress and we will save her Walk Away dress for Easter.

Next, I pulled out the bias strips and have decided to use them for the hem of the Walk Away dress.  I stitched all the strips together and tomorrow, I will decide if I am going to 'bound' the edge or make a bias turned hem.  Good thing I can sleep on it as my brain is much, much, much too tired to make the decision tonight. ;)

My goal for tomorrow is to have the dress completed by day's end.  I'm almost there. :)

The Homeschool conference was wonderful!  Now, it's time for some much needed sleep to arise early tomorrow....perhaps there is a nap in there for me tomorrow....I am hoping!

Good Night :)

Friday, April 11, 2014

KCW Day 5


Today I worked on tracing off PDFs for my sewing time since I am at a conference and away from machines.  I am hoping I can create one of the T-shirts for one of my sons, on Sunday....we shall see if I make it. :)

Good Night...  :)

KCW Day 4

The crinoline is just about finished.  I need to try it on Olivia, one more time to make sure I have the elastic correct and the crinoline works well with the hemline of the dress.

For the next two days I will be at a conference so I will be unable to sew at the machine.  I am bringing some PDF patterns to put together, that will take up all of my 1 hour time slot....and then some.  I'm hoping to have the dress finished on Saturday evening, along with the petticoat.

Olivia did hand stitching today.  She was working on sewing on buttons and figuring out the differences of sewing with one strand of thread vs. two or embroidery thread. :)


Good Night ;)